State of Palestine, Palestine Liberation Organization Negotiation Affairs Department 22 August 2014
– Statistics after 48 days of the Israeli aggression against the Gaza Strip (July 6th – August 22nd).
Since the beginning of Israel’s continues and deliberate attacks on the defenseless Palestinian civilians in Gaza, Palestinian causalities and destruction of properties have been increased severely. On average Israel has killed about 44 people among them about 12 children were killed on a daily bases.
The sharp increase of the death toll has risen to reach about 2,088, wounding more than 10,482. Among those killed by the Israeli ongoing attacks are 562 children, 255 women and 98 elderly. Also during the 48 days of continues attacks on the defenseless civilians in Gaza, Israel injured more than 3189 child, 1994 woman and 388 elderly.
“Over 370,000 Palestinian children in need of ‘psycho-social first aid”
“The impact is has truly been vast, both at a very physical level, in terms of casualties, injuries, the infrastructure that’s been damaged, but also importantly, emotionally and psychologically in terms of the destabilizing impact that not knowing, not truly feeling like there is anywhere safe place to go in Gaza,” Pernilla Ironside, Chief of the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
Perhaps the most obvious in Israel’s current attacks on the civilians in Gaza is the deliberate targeting of full families. Since the beginning of the Israeli criminal assault on Gaza, Israel has slaughtered about 86 families, killing 505 members of the family’s which constitute 20% of the total killed to this reporting period.
Statistics of 48 Days of Israeli Aggression against the Gaza Strip
July 6that 00:00 AM – August 22th at 12:00 PM
– Palestinians killed : 2,088
– Palestinians Injured : 10,482
– Demolished Structures: 9,600
– Partially Demolished Structures: 7,600
– Damaged Homes: 40,000
– Schools Damaged : 141 Government Schools and 136 UNRWA Schools
– Damaged Hospitals and Health Centers – 10 hospitals and 7 PHC clinics were damaged, 5 hospitals and 44 primary health clinics were closed, 16 ambulances were damaged, and 83 health personnel injured, 23 health personnel died after Israeli airstrikes.
– Attacks against Religious Sites – 69 mosques cannot be used and 150 have been partially damaged. Ten Muslim cemeteries have been targeted. Two Churches and one hristian cemetery have been Partially Damaged.
Over 450,000 people are displaced (almost one third of the Gaza population) –1,700,000 people (the entire population of the Gaza Strip) have been affected by the destruction of electricity, water and waste water infrastructures.
Israeli disregard to the lives of Palestinians has resulted in the killing of hundreds. Instead of learning from previous experiences, some countries gave green light to Israeli forces to bombard and invade the Gaza Strip. The international community has the legal and moral responsibility to protect the Palestinian population living under Israeli occupation and to hold Israel accountable regarding its severe violations of the international humanitarian law. Lack of accountability will continue to fuel Israeli atrocities and crimes. Lack of international action will continue to increase the list of people killed, injured and displaced.